Looking to add some variety to your culinary expertise? A cheesy vegetarian chilli mac might just do the trick. A favourite among both kids and adults alike, this quirky take on a classic mac ‘n’ cheese is hit all the right flavour notes and is packed with all the good stuff your body needs. Make it for dinner, brunch or packed lunch, this one is a winner!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups of tomato puree/sauce
- 2 cups of kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups of black beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups of pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of uncooked macaroni (elbow) pasta
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
Method of preparation:
- Sautee the diced onions and minced garlic in olive oil in a large pot on a medium flame for about 2-3 minutes, until the onions become transparent.
- Add the flour to the sautéed onion and garlic mix and continue to stir the mixture for about 2 minutes. You can continue this step until the flour and chilli powder mix starts to form a coating at the bottom of the pot.
- Drain water from the kidney, black and pinto beans. Add all the three varieties of beans, corn kernels, diced tomatoes and tomato puree to the pot along with the vegetable broth. Stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. While stirring, it’s important to make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Add the uncooked elbow pasta to the mixture and stir until it’s combined with the bean-tomato mixture. Close the pot with a lid and cook until the water in the pot comes to a boil. It’s advisable to carry out this step over a medium flame. To avoid the formation of clumps, make sure you keep stirring the pasta mixture every now and then.
- When the pot reaches a boil, turn the heat down so that contents continue to simmer. Let the simmering continue for another 10-12 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the pasta becomes tender, add the grated cheddar cheese to the pot and mix until all the cheese has melted.
Your cheesy vegetarian chilli mac is ready to be served! You can find more easy to prepare and delicious homemade recipes on Masalabox.