Chicken Bartha, hailing from the flavourful land of Kolkata, is originally known as ‘Chicken Bortha’. The recipe has also scattered its variants throughout many places in North India. The word ‘Bharta’ or ‘Bortha’ literally means mashed.
Ingredients required for Chicken Bartha-
- Chicken boiled and shredded
- Pureed onion
- Pureed Tomatoes
- Paste ginger garlic and green chilly
- Cashew nut paste (with dahi/fresh cream if fewer cashews)
Directions to prepare Chicken Bartha-
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onion puree until the raw flavour diminishes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste & the green chilli paste once the onion puree is done.
- Pour the tomato puree into the pan and cook for a few minutes in high flame.
- Add the required masalas like Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilly Powder and lastly kasoori methi.
- Add cashew paste and the required amount of salt.
- Add the leftover chicken stock to have a richer gravy.
- Add butter and shredded chicken and let it cook.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a half-cut boiled egg.
Want to explore recipes like these? Join as a home chef now with Masala Box and get to feature your favourite recipe. Partner with us now!