‘Beef Ullarthiyathu’ is a dish which is relished by most Malayalees in the hearty land of Kerala. The dish is a combination of flavours and spices which leaves you smacking your lips! Here is a recipe for the perfect ‘Beef Ullarthiyathu’-
Ingredients for the ‘Beef Ullarthiyathu’ recipe–
- 2½ lb beef
- 25 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 2-3 green chilies (slit)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1½ tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp meat masala
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 4-6 sprigs curry leaves
- ¼ cup coconut bites
- a pinch of mustard seeds
- salt (as required)
- oil (as required)
Directions for ‘Beef Ullarthiyathu’–
- Clean and cut the beef into shredded meat or chunks (as per choice).
- Pressure cook the beef for 2 whistles with salt, pepper, meat masala and enough water.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds; add curry leaves, shallots (sliced), green chillies, and saute until the shallots turn translucent brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste; add spices – chilli powder, coriander, turmeric, garam masala and mix well in low flame.
- Add the cooked beef along with the remaining water and cook until the water dries out; keep stirring to avoid sticking of the meat at the bottom of the pan.
- Add salt as much as needed.
- In the meanwhile, fry Coconut bites along with curry leaves until brown.
- When the gravy dries out, add the coconut bites and curry leaves and mix well in the pan in low flame. Do this until the meat is blackish – brown and dried out.
- Serve hot with Rice, Kerala Porotta, Appam or any other South Indian Bread.
Are you a fan of such ‘Naadan’ exotic recipes like ‘Beef Ullarthiyathu’, especially for the Weekends? Try out some homemade and authentic Naadan Food from Masala Box Weekends. Order now!