‘Saag‘ is a typical leaf based dish or gravy and is mostly eaten with Indian breads or rice. ‘Murgh Saagwala’ is most popular in Nepal, Odisha, Kashmir, Haryana and West Bengal. Although spinach is the most common base used for the ‘Murgh Saagwala’ gravy, it can also be made using other greens and spices like broccoli, kale, mustard leaves and much more.
Here is a quick and easy recipe for ‘Murgh Saagwala’, or also known as ‘Chicken saagwala’-
Main Ingredients for ‘Murgh Saagwala’ –
- Whole Chicken – 1
- Spinach – 2 bunch
- Large Onions – 2
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Tomatoes (blended) – 3
- Cardamom – 2 pods
- Cloves – 2
- Milk – ¼ of a cup
- Sour cream – 6 tablespoons
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry the chicken pieces until brown and set it aside.
- Boil spinach in a separate pot along with water; ensure that the lid is covered.
- After boiling for about 10 minutes, blend it to a semi-paste texture.
- Fry onions, garlic and ginger in the same skillet until brown.
- Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder, cardamom and cloves.
- Add salt as per requirement.
- Add a tablespoon of water and stir continuously.
- Pour milk and also add the chicken chunks to it after stirring.
- Leave it to a simmer until the chicken is tender.
- Add in the spinach and garam masala and let the gravy start thickening.
- Add in the sour cream and bring it to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add some butter if needed.
Your ‘Murgh Saagwala’ is ready!
Too lazy to cook your ‘Murgh Saagwala’, or not having the time for it? Worry not! Order homemade authentic dishes like these only from Masala Box and get it door delivered now.